| First Chinese Baptist Church, Los Angeles - Chinatown Campus|
Department: Children's Ministry Reports to: Senior Pastor
Typical Hours: Tuesday - Friday; 9:00 am to 6:00 pm, Wednesday and Friday nights, frequent Saturday events & activities, and most Sundays.
Job Summary: The Children's Minister will serve as the spiritual leader of the Children's Ministry (birth to grade 5). This individual carries out the spiritual vision for Children's Ministry within the scope of the overall church vision as set forth by the Senior Pastor. Further, he/she develops children to walk with God by fostering spiritual growth through worship, Bible teaching, fellowship, prayer and outreach. He/she works and communicates with volunteers, parents, and pastoral staff for effective ministry. He/she cares for the children's spiritual needs through counseling and personal contact/ministry and demonstrates concern for families and children.
First Chinese Baptist Church, Los Angeles is a multi-generational, multi-lingual church with over 2000 worshippers. Located in Chinatown for over sixty years, it is one of the largest Chinese-American churches on the west coast. Over the history of our church, God has blessed the children's ministry mightily. Current longstanding programs are supported by an exceptionally large and skilled volunteer base. The children's ministry provides love, care, teaching and discipleship to a diverse group of over 300 students who speak primarily English, but also Cantonese and Mandarin.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Oversee, manage and lead all aspects of the ministry with the support of the Children's Ministry team
2. Recruit, screen, train, and retain ministry leaders and other volunteers
3. Partner with parents in the spiritual development of their children
4. Lead or oversee children's ministry programs and events including, but not limited to, Children's Worship, Sunday School, Nursery, Friday night fellowships (Royal Ambassadors, Girls in Action), Bible Drill, Sunday afternoon programs, Good News Club, Children's Prayer Meeting, summer camps, Vacation Bible School, appreciation events, Children's programs for evangelistic outreaches, and other church-wide events
5. Be children's advocate regarding safety, security, facility and legal matters
6. Work with other parts of the church concerning budget, facilities, supplies, etc.
7. Maintain regular working hours
8. Be available as needs arise for prayer, crises, and other urgencies involving children
9. Regularly attends worship service and ministry meetings such as Pastoral, Deacons, Members, and Prayer
10. Performs other duties as directed by the Senior Pastor
11. Complies with church policies and procedures
1. Calling and Commitment
a. A confirmed and committed calling by God into the gospel ministry
b. Called by God especially to serve in the Children's Ministry
a. A born-again believer, preferably baptized by immersion. A committed follower of Christ with demonstrated maturity and dependence on God.
i. Demonstrates God's presence with him/her. A person of prayer. Loves God and His Word.
ii. Humble, teachable and accountable
iii. Pursues personal holiness
iv. Unquestioned godliness and integrity
b. Is a shepherd
i. Personable, approachable, and available
ii. Compassionate and caring for believers and non-believers
iii. Encouraging and supportive
3. Spiritual Gifts and Abilities
a. Effective in preaching and Bible teaching to children.
b. Shows adept leadership over a large organization with many experienced volunteers and parents. Strong ability to multitask, initiate, organize, lead, and delegate. Manages time well.
c. Strong communication skills. Fluency in English, knowledge of Cantonese and/or Mandarin is beneficial.
4. Agreement with the Baptist Faith and Message
MINIMAL QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
* EDUCATION: Master's degree in Divinity or equivalent combination of education and experience.
* WORK EXPERIENCE: Three (3) years full-time experience with children in a church with at least 150 members in a minister or director role, or equivalent combination of experience, training and certification.
WORK CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Office environment working at a modular desk:
* Works on a computer for several hours a day.
* Frequent standing and active movement are required.
* Operate standard office equipment including copiers, projectors and phone system.
* Must be able to drive to visit church members and friends as needed, as well as to attend various church functions/events.